PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun Season 2010-2011-2012
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 07:59
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windhoek, Namibia.
Dead.
Everyone has already hired, and they can't get visas for any of the new hires. The government wants 2000 TT before they will issue a visa or permit. Pilots are being grounded, and some are being sent home to their home country.
According to one Chief Pilot, "we are full, and if we do get an opening, we have already interviewed three Namibian pilots, and they have already passed the tests, and will be the first ones we hire if we do get an opening, and then we have an additional five more Namibian pilots to interview, then we have to place a full page add in the newspaper, and interview any other Namibians before we can even interview foreigners. And then we have to have foreigners with more than 2000 total time before we can get a visa or work permit for them. When I first came here, it took one or two weeks to get a visa and six months for a permit, it's just not like that any longer."
I quoted this, because it is as close to word for word what I wrote down as notes of what he said as soon as I left his office.