PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DeltaConnection carriers file a petition for one list
Old 1st Aug 2000, 19:15
Petergozinya

Unhappy

Redtail:
The Railway Labor Act needs to be changed. It takes away from the union and drags out negotiations far too long.
Amen.

Delta C. You obviously don't understand the cencept you're pushing. The NMB is the National Mediation Board. They provide, when requested , a mediator. A mediator does nothing but try to "split the baby". They have no authority whatsoever to send anyone back to work. They can't even order anyone into a locked room to solve their differences. What they can do is "suggest", or proffer, both parties submit to "binding arbitration", meaning, argue your case, and let someone else decide for you. The NMB is nothing more than that. The concept you allude to has been used only once in recent times, with the AA pilot strike, when Clinton sent them back to work. P.E.B. stands for Presidential Emergency Board. Loss of AA lift, to the tune of 20% of U.S. capacity, IS/WAS a threat to the economy. Not to mention APA had no AFL-CIO affiliation... Whats the combined market share of ASA/Comair? Probably wouldn't even make the newspapers.
What part of stepping stone do you need explained?
I need the part explained of how we're trading the stepping stone concept for a big 3 seniority number. I understand the whipsawing going on. Didn't say I agreed with it. And if guys are moving to the majors after 4 years.......? I view you (the ones pushing) as the bunch of opportunists that you are. If you could only get 9% of the pilot group to strike for a pension, what percentage did you get to persue a seniority integration? 100%? Sounds like a career minded pilot group to me. Just grab a number.
You make mainline pilots seem very out of touch with your question. Yet I happen to know many, and they aren't soo out of touch.
Refresh my memory. What was my question?

Holodek7
You are saying that you are opposed to an 'end-tail' merger(no ill effect on the current DAL list) of the lists based on a perception of a 'back-door'.To deny that Comair and ASA pilots aren't employed by DAL now, is to give licence to all sorts of shenanigans by management...'whipsaw' comes to mind, particularly at the bottom of the DAL seniority/equipment list where there is most likely to be an 'overlap' in the type of flying and nature of the jobs (vis a vis the regionals).
Never said I was opposed to a staple. I'm challenging you. Show me where I said that. Delta Connector has alluded to the impotence of the pilot group in question with statments like, 'congress' won't allow it, scope will be eroded..........passing the buck.
Over time DAL management (and congress) will erode scope language and soon all or most of the domestic (ASA/Comair fly to Mexico and Canada already) flying may happen under a different seniority list than that of DALPA.
Fact is, the RLA provides the tools necessary to FIX this yourselves.

I'm against a pure flow through, whereas EVERY guy gets a number. Don't try and twist my statements. Solidarity at negotiations time? OK, lets see some. Show us what ya got.

ACE RIMMER. Bad info. RJ's cost per seat mile exceed larger types every time. Labor packages are much lower........

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Petergozinya (edited 01 August 2000).]