PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 01:38
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
''HKA are now effectively part of the huge Hainan airline group which in turn is part of a massive Chinese conglomerate. The money they are losing in HKA is small change and won't bother them for a minute. I don't know what their plan is but it is a bit baffling that they make no attempt to have a happy pilot workforce, I guess they just don't care.''

It seems that HKA are mainly there to provide the Hainan Group with extra aircraft by circumventing the mainland China delivery quotas set by the Chinese Government. Thye have had lots of B738 delivered, but just seem to be operating a handful now as the others all get transferred to other airlines in the Hainan group. I will be suprised if they're still operating all the 330s ordered in two years time. And rumours of 320 arriving later this year would back this up as the 738s are unlikely to remain.

This would account for why treat their crews like pooh and don't seem to care about retaining them. There's no doubt they have had some truly dreadful relationships with their pilots and CC, and despite the starry eyed delusions of some of the HKA aspirants on this thread they still seem to be at it. As a friend of mine who recently left their A330 fleet would attest.