PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EO SID / Special Take-Off Procedure - Include in App. Brief?
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 00:24
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've made the point precisely. "Either you have the performance for a missed approach, or you need a company escape route if required." Perfectly stated....
However before we start any approach we have to calculate the relevant go-around climb gradients (both all engines and OEI) during the normal landing performance calculation (done on the EFB and documented on the OFP) and if we do not meet the required gradient either wait until our weight is low enough or divert.
We really must come to a definitive answer (and a legal one!) as we are giving a whole bunch of answers and, for example, those last two hardly have anything in common.

I was never told to "wait until you burn your weight off" in a place where there are higher than standard PDG's. I remember something like
"Either you have the performance for a missed approach, or you need a company escape route if required."
...and quite frankly, that sounds more logical overall. I will obey one of my instructors who once told me "this shouldn't be called aviation, that's too much an impressive name. This should be called "common sense""