PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mach-Number to Airspeed Conversion Above 65,000 Feet
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 23:29
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DERG

Do you know how many decimal places the crew use when they enter the "numbers" into the flight computer?

Well I always round mine to 2 decimal places for general use, but I could imagine the third decimal place might make a difference on long flights.
In civil engineering we work to plus or minus 5mm over a 6000m distance, well we did when I was trained, but these days they user l@sers and GPS stuff..so maybe even "tighter".

So the question is... how many decimal places are used when a crew inputs the data for mapping the flight?
Two to three decimal places when mapping the flight depending on the length of the flight.

p.s. the l@ser spelling came out like that when I entered the text..I mean l@ser. done it again..why does it do that?
Well, I think you just think I'm a chatterbot so you are entering odd characters and text as well as switching the topic midway into civil engineering, using ambiguous measurements (m can be in meters or miles though in this case it's obviously meters), then switching back to the original topic in some bizarre attempt to "screw me up".

I'm not a robot. Sure, I can be odd, and be socially inept, kind of quirky sometimes, and take things a bit too literally but those things are all the product of having a pervasive developmental disorder such as asperger syndrome, high functioning autism or PDD NOS (which means you have a pervasive developmental disorder which does not neatly fit into any of the following). I've been diagnosed, at different times, over the past 14 years with one of the three (PDD NOS was the most common diagnosis that came up).

HazelNuts39

Correct, but ... the SLStd temperature is 15 °C or 288.15 K
So at 273 K, Mach 1 = 643.3944 kts, and at 288.15 K, is 661.4788 kts.

john tullamarine

The site has some background text checks for various reasons .. l-a-ser becoming l@ser is one of them. Hopefully no-one has a need to know as I would then have to dig deep to find out the specific reason.
That's a really weird quirk. I honestly just thought DERG thought I was a chatterbot and did that as some kind of "test". Still, I'm going to leave what I wrote to him anyway.

chris weston

We use kPa mostly where 1 Bar/Atmosphere = 101.3 kPa
Even though 1 atm and 1 bar are supposed to be 1 atmosphere, why does a bar translate out to 100 kPa, and an atm translate out to 101.3 kPa? (I checked the defintion of 1 bar to make sure it was the same as 1 atm)

BTW: As you have "second law" written as a title under your name, I assume you mean entropy. Here's something that's rather fascinating. Being that the total amount of energy in a closed system is zero, and gravity being negative potential energy, this actually means that given enough time every unit of positive energy which includes energy and matter, and every unit of negative energy will actually neutralize out to nothing (if our universe is a closed system, which I wouldn't be surprised if it is).

Last edited by Jane-DoH; 23rd Feb 2011 at 01:10.