PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EO SID / Special Take-Off Procedure - Include in App. Brief?
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 21:38
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with Pantload on this one. A standard Cat I approach has a 2.1% missed climb approach gradient and a CAT II/III has a 2.5% gradient. A standard SID has a 3.3% gradient. So let's assume you are operating to a runway that has a non-standard N-1 procedure. Starting with a take-off (I know we are discussing landings), if you can't make 3.3% following an engine failure at V1 (which will be a fair point down the runway), you'll follow the non-standard N-1 procedure. So returning to the landing, you should not really be starting an approach if you are unable to make the required missed approach climb gradient. But (there's always one of these) if you do find yourself there or worse, find yourself making a go-around below MDA/DH you are possibly in uncharted territory. So the safest procedure is to nick a tool from the take-off box - follow the N-1 procedure. This may also save your bacon if you have a performance problem, like the gear failing to retract, following an N-1 go-around. The reasons for following the procedure will be that firstly, it will be executed before the start of the runway. Secondly it will be started with flying speed and lastly you will already have some height in the bag to start with. If you do find yourself following the N-1 procedure, don't forget to tell ATC - The'll be expecting you to follow the Standard Missed Approach and I'll bet they haven't a clue as to what your company specific N-1 Take-off procedure is.

As for including it in the brief? Well if that that's what you are going to do...

PM