PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Missed Approach Procedure
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 21:37
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The FAA Answer to Visual Go-arounds

For all the bluster, MSFS pseudo-experts, and the general nastiness, not one person has accurately referred to the controlling FAA document:

Per Airman's Information Manual, Chapter 5, Section 4 (Arrival Procedures), Paragraph 22 (Visual Approach), sub-paragraph e:

A visual approach is NOT an IAP and therefore has NO missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled fields will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower. At uncontrolled fields, aircraft are expected to remain clear of clouds and complete a landing as soon as possible. If an landing cannot be accomplished, the aircraft is expected to remain clear of clouds and contact ATC as soon as possible for further clearance. Separation from other IFR aircraft will be maintained under these circumstances. (Empahsis added)

I cannot find a Doc 8168 answer, as it primarily references IAPs; but I cannot believe a vastly different answer is appropriate. While I recognize the UK has specific procedures, following the missed approach for an approach one was NOT cleared to fly (and maybe one of several for the runway in use) in crowded airspace may be questionable airmanship. Missed approach procedures are frequently designed as 'standalone' procedures and do not address busy airspace, multiple planes flying approaches.

GF