PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sending the Goat-Acts Around
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2002, 04:18
Guy D'ageradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West coast

Sorry if the rant got a bit out of hand but it was necessary. I fully agree with the "you fly it, I'll do the controlling" concept - if only it worked (does the phrase "we have it on TCAS - can't we continue the climb" sound familiar?) however, if you are obviously very hot and high, I WILL ask if it's going to work, which you seem to agree with but I do not expect to be chastised for doing so.

You say The original poster believed that every controller must see this type of approach at least yearly, just aint so. The numbers just dont bear it out. I'm sorry but that is just not the case. I remember distinctly from my days at Dubai, every morning a certain US freight carrier arrives with an MD11 - no height / speed restrictions from first contact and direct to FAF at around 15nm - and every morning they manage to arrive at 10DME at 7 - 8000ft and 300+ knots. Sure, they manage to get it down about 40 - 50% of the time but again, "stabilised approach" anyone?

Admittedly, I am no MD-11 expert (or any other type for that matter) but in my last year in Dubai I saw a 747 try to land on the creek, an A300 nearly hit the tower after stalling during a go-around , an IL-86 land wheels up and the gulfair crash at Bahrain, all, I believe, due to messed-up (high speed) approaches. Should we really have to sit there with our sphincters clenched, wondering if it's all going to go to ratsh*t that often?

I do hope that this will not be seen as a case of pilot - bashing but as a genuine plea to look at both sides of the coin.

Salut!