PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2002, 02:51
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

in front of our hangar. a guy is "playing" around with some Rotorway - an old model - it was not even called a "Rotorway 90", yet.
In the meantime they have full FADEC and you also can get an altitude-compensating compressor on it.
It seems they are pretty good machines now, extremely stable (is there such a thing with helicopters...?), which for me translates into very boring (if you have a couple thousand hrs in a R-44 and then change into JetRanger, you know what I mean....).
Personally I do not like the belt drive to the T/R (I donīt know about the latest model, but some previous one had a 5 hr inspection cycle for the T/R belt tension - better bring all necessary gear for a longer trip!!)

Bottomline:

IF you are not into building and tinkering with the machine - speak flying is secondary - KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF ANY KIT - AIRPLANE OR HELICOPTER!!!

I had a guy ask my opinion on the same machine to get to fly "cheap" with a heli.........

Do the math:
How much is the kit, versus how much is a private licence AND how long can you rent say a R-22 for the rest? Will you really fly that much to bother with insurance (if you can find one...), a place to keep the machine, etc. - and you still have to built it yet, do you have a place for the building part of the game, any tools yet?

If it seems to expensive in your corner of the world to get a private licence, give me a call, plan on a terrific vacation in Central-America, get your licence and fly your heart out in fantastic scenery (miles of beach, rainforest, rivers, etc...)!!!! No, you are not dreaming- check it out:

www.helipan.com

send me an e-mail:

[email protected]

Again: if your heart is not with the mechanical challenge to built and maintain a helicopter, DONīT DO IT!!! IT IS NOT A CHEAP WAY TO GET TO FLY A HELICOPTER!!

If there are plenty of accidents, then it is most likely because of insufficient training and bad maintenance......

3top