PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bullied by the Boss?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 15:46
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawker 750
I guess most, or all of the posts, here are from corporate flyers and it seems the attitude is that the bosses may bully and it can compromise safety. So surely this is a good example of why your sector should be regulated with a "private AOC" and Ops manual.
my post (no.4)

At my present position its nearly viceversa, the boss being very, very interested in his safety, he would ask us after every landing that is not conducted in VMC wether this was dangerous....

Implying that Iīm not an air taxi pilot anymore, but coorperate...

But back to the q, as an air taxi pilot...

... I had these issues regurlarly at hand, canīt really say there is a 'one does it all' solution to it. Some need forceful feedback, some need convincing that it is not just us being to lazy, some need to be reminded that we donīt wanīt to be forced into unlawful actions.
Most I have to say, have not exerted pressure. But then, some of us feel pressure just by being asked "can we land?"

What you have to have in hand though is a second solution. Like, "well, Iīm sorry, but Farnborough is closed for weather, we can get you to Luton and have a limo ready and reposition to Fab when the wx has improved to pick you up later in order not to hurt your schedule more then necessary". If you can provide a new calculation and what time penalty is involved you have done your homework correctly.
Also, when in doubt bout the wx, I tell my guests up front that we might need to divert and ask which alternate (obviously one mentions only the ones that should work) would be more convinient should the need arise...

Just standing there saying no, not poss, is definately not to the liking of most pax I flew yet...

All in all, just use common sense.
Okay hawker, I understand why you are jealous, I was it too when I was in your position.... 'over here' I enjoy no commercial pressure, best possible maintenance, no flights to range limits with LRC sold at low prices that were calculated without wind and will clearly have headwinds, no flights with overweight, regular refreshers in a sim etcetcetc.

The numbers show with distilled clarity, that AOC operations are WAY more dangerous than coorperate ops.

There is no need for a private AOC, no matter how often you AOC guys repeat it. It seems to be the mantra of an industry, that was and is so divided that a single company (NetJets) can give you such a hard time that you now try put us out of a job and our bosses become your clients because a private operation is getting complicated and expensive.

I have news for you: wonīt happen, at least not at the scale you want it too happen. People will go N or maybe M or whatever.

The only thing you (the 'aoc industry') have done better than we did ourself, is lobbiing in Montreal and Brussels. Lets wait and see what happens.