PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batmen
Thread: Batmen
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 12:31
BEagle

Received 315 Likes on 114 Posts
OldBricks, the batties who looked after us in our second term whilst in the JMPG blocks were stars. If you recall, we then became liable to one inspection per week, usually by the genial Sgt Les Rodda*....

One week, Les seemed more than usually benevolent. He'd been hi-jacked by the batties (led by our chap, to my shame I can't recall his name - was it Ron? It wasn't old 'Twisted John') and plied with tea laced with rum, so was feeling no pain at all when we saw him wandering around the block later.

When the batties were summoned to a meeting in 1969 to be told that henceforth their duties and pay would be scaled back, they were very sad indeed. Not so much because of the reduction in pay, but because they saw it as the end of an era - and had been told not to expect to be tipped very much by cadets any longer. I gave Ron(?) his usual 30/- and he handed me back a ten bob note, saying that £1 was now the limit. What a cruel thing 'they' had done to those wonderful old chaps.

*Les - heart of pure gold but brains of pure wood! Old Bricks, remember his comment to 'Dwarfo' when the latter wasn't in some correct drill position? "Mr Sw**, you're out of proportion, Sir!"