PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Missed Approach Procedure
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 09:47
aviatorhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll agree with most of that, and I'll also point out that I used the phrasing "addendum" when referring to cancellation of radar services, which would mean the cancellation comes after the approach clearance. As far as cancellation goes I would typically use the HF set (if so equipped), if that has poor reception (shakes fist at Auckland Radio), I'll get the Satphone out. Relaying a cancellation via a passing aircraft is also an option.

I'll also point out that in remote places (Alaska for instance), we would often operate outside of the radar coverage area, on an IFR flight plan and be cleared for a visual, more often than not I preferred a cruise clearance (this equates to being cleared from your present cruise altitude all the way to the ground) once I was outside of the radar coverage area. Out of the many airports I flew into, 3 had control towers, 4 had FSS and the dozens of others had nothing more than a gravel runway and a ramp.

I always enjoyed having FAA inspectors from more "traditional" operations riding along with us, my favorite one was a guy who told me I can't fly VFR in a 121 (Scheduled Commercial operation in the US) airplane, and he was shocked that I did that for one of the legs (we would do 8 legs on a slow day). I quickly pointed out that if it was illegal why did my GOM contain OPSPECS authorizing me to do so, I wish I had a camera to capture the look on his face when he saw I wasn't BSing him and that we were authorized to operate at 500 ft AGL and 1 miles visibility for the enroute portion of the flight (VFR ofcourse), very useful when the airports don't have IAPs.

Last edited by aviatorhi; 22nd Feb 2011 at 14:51.