PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Missed Approach Procedure
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 08:54
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviatorhi, you made me get to the bottom of this, for that I thank you.

Here we go:
5-1-15 CANCELING IFR FLIGHT PLAN
If operating on an IFR flight plan to an airport where there is no functioning control tower, the pilot must initiate cancellation of the IFR flight plan. This can be done after landing if there is a functioning FSS or other means of direct communications with ATC. In the event there is no FSS and/or air/ground communications with ATC is not possible below a certain altitude, the pilot should, weather conditions permitting, cancel the IFR flight plan while still airborne and able to communicate with ATC by radio. This will not only save the time and expense of canceling the flight plan by telephone but will quickly release the airspace for use by other aircraft.

Conclusion: it can be done both ways canceling IFR and continuing IFR. However as much as I disagree with your title of Troll I disagree with a statement of being cleared for a VISUAL approach after radar service being terminated. The clearance will be given to proceed to your destination airfield
with the wording cleared to XXXX radar service terminated contact advisory xxx,xx. You can elect to continue by visual means or by following published IAP, it's up to you. There's NO separation provided between IFR & VFR traffic.
You state your intention to FSS and they simply acknowledge NO clearance is given. Should you proceed by visual means or VFR you're expected to join the traffic pattern and report downwind, base and final. In case you follow IAP OM, FAF etc is to be reported. The flight plan is to be canceled after landing.

The truth is born is the discussion.