PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fox to crack down on military overspends
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2011, 06:33
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another example from the late 80s. I can talk about it because aircraft deployed are protected effectively so no one is at risk from my comments.

A piece of "state of the art" electronic equipment is developed to protect aircraft A. Development dribbles on for many years and by the time it's ready to be fitted and tested it's apparent that the threats it was designed to counter are obsolescent. It's too late to change the spec (contractually) and something is better than nothing so it's fitted to aircraft A. Plans to fit the system to aircraft B (funded) are reviwed and it's concluded that a similar system being developed for aircraft C would give better protection and could be fitted reasonably easily. Plans are offered to use the funds to switch to the more modern system, albeit at additional cost. The scrutineers see the review as a sign of weakness and the funds are withdrawn so aircraft B remains unprotected. The capability is "taken at risk".

Move on to the "naughties". Aicraft A deploys to a nasty place where an enemy is shooting at us. Operators point out that the system isn't very good as most of the threats it was specified against have gone away. A podded off the shelf solution is cobbled together and fitted. Luckily our friends across the Pond still have systems on the shelf! The threat to aircraft B has not gone away and when it becomes apparent that it is also about to go in harms way, it finally gets a podded off the shelf system many years after the funding had been pulled. Staff rush around finding cash, fitting stuff as quickly as possible and working out how to support the equipment in service.

Ironically, the updated system for aircraft C is delayed into service by 15 years and, not surprisingly, the threats it was designed to counter are obsolescent. Moreover, the technology the contractor chose, against the wishes of the customer, doesn't work as well as it should. The capability is taken at risk as the aircraft is not deployed.

If aircraft A and aircraft B both needed a podded off the shelf system when in harms way, what's the betting that aircraft C will also need one when it deploys? I'd also bet money that in the current climate, the piece of equipment currently fitted will not be updated. Do you think William Hill would take that bet on. If so, I could make money.

It couldn't happen could it? Truth can be stranger than fiction.

Defence is a chess match not a business. There are no accolades for coming second and enemies don't respect "best practice". To win the match we need to be responsive not procedural. If the budget is fixed we need to buy less but smarter. Does that ring a bell. Best we start doing it rather than writing about it.

Last edited by Geehovah; 22nd Feb 2011 at 06:48.