PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top Gear - Citabria crash
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 20:42
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top Gear - Citabria crash

I'm surprised to not see any comments on here yet about last night's Top Gear, which showed a Citabria, LN-RAR, attempting to land on a frozen lake which had been cleared of snow by a snow-plow which had been made by the presenters - and apparently crashing in the process.

I don't really feel very qualified to comment on it, since I've never flown on skis, nor on unprepared ground. My observations, though, were that all was not quite as it seems. As the aircraft touched down, the prop appeared to stop - which surely isn't normal practice? Then there was a shot of the presenters, followed by another shot of the aircraft, with its engine running again, going over some admitedly very bumpy ground but apparently under control. Another shot of the presenters, then the aircraft sliding, out of control but very slow, into a snow-bank, but again with the prop stationary.

What are other people's views on this? Was it completely staged? I'd be curious to know the views of people with experience on skis.....

FFF
--------------