PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silhouette challenge
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 16:57
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing American or Russian then?
You are correct, it is one of those two!

I was just about to say that I'm very surprised that nobody has asked the usual first question that often occurs when a picture of a biplane (usually against a distant skyline) is posted. Maybe it's because there aren't many three-views on a particular site (including one of this)!

The answer to that familiar question would be, yes it is from that country, and yes it is on that site!!

I think you all know which country, which can also be a continent and the other question can save a lot of fruitless searching.

There should be enough info there now to quickly locate it. (no drawing but a photo)

Edited to say that I needn't have types all that rubbish, I started a while ago, just after your last post appeared, but a plumbing emergency (building not personal) delayed its completion.

It is the Berckmans Speed Scout

100hp Gnôme rotary; span: 26'0" length: 18'8" load: 370# v: 115/85/54 (?>96/x/47) range: 275 (?>240) ceiling: 22,000'.

Maurice Berckmans. Monocoque laminated-plywood fuselage. A project for military consideration, which never materialized when "several deficiencies" were found in McCook Field evaluations.

POP: 1. Repowered with Liberty 6 as B-2, that design was also rejected because of its heaviness, as well as Berckmans' asking price of $175,000 for three planes. However, his design for B-3, with Liberty 12, did receive an order for four planes, but, as luck had it, the Armistice came along and killed the project.
skytrain has control

Last edited by SincoTC; 21st Feb 2011 at 17:22. Reason: Added info from Aerofiles