PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Whistling wheelbarrow"
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 15:38
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Beverley painting reminds me of a Beverley landing at Beihan, somewhere aroud 1962. We were there by accident, having just finished loosing off 25pdr shells into the Yemen from a nearby beauty spot.

The trip was to celebrate the completion of an airstrip lovingly constructed by a small crew from the 5004th Airfield Construction Squadron RAF, at least I think that's what it was called. For about 2 years an elderly Flt Lt had master-ninded the job, which involved hacking out large pieces of rock, crushing them, spreading the material, rolling it, sealing it with tarmac etc.

A Beaver appeared and landed, with all sorts of brass from Aden. Then a Beverley hove majestically into view, circled once and carried out a stately approach and perfect touchdown. As it rolled out, waves developed in a V-pattern in the tarmac along the length of the nice new strip, leaving a pleasing corrugated appearance.

The C-in-C turned to the Flt Lt and remarked that his future for another 2 years was certain. They then climbed back into the Beaver, which departed from a convenient smooth piece of ground.

That evening, the Flt Lt went doo-lally, and threatened us all with a .303 rifle, which was fully loaded, when the generator broke down during a film he liked. "You barstewards", he yelled, pulling at the trigger with the safety catch still on, "You did it on purpose". He was shipped out next day by 3-tonner, securely fastened down.

And the crew went back to work. I've no idea what happened to the Beverley.

Last edited by Capot; 21st Feb 2011 at 16:09.