PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 7th Sep 2002, 19:44
John Bicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy G is the closest here.

As for the "commercial pilot" stance even the regulations in most countries state "may operate an aircraft". There is no right, it is a privilege that you may exercise. An operator is within his rights to employ you on whatever basis he wishes, and that you concur with, inside any legal requirements regarding employment.

The sources for increasing flight experience are many and some have already been discussed.

The problem remains for operators that low time pilot's are expensive to buy and also sell. The issue here is that it is easier to get a start with an operator who has an easily sold product. Of course competition cuts both ways here. An operator who has differentiated himself to get a competitive advantage has also the problem of substantiating that advantage with pilots with the correct experience to his customers.

The "commercial pilot licence" is just a common denominator and is not really the issue.

I think a lot of pilot's with low time should have put more effort into trying to get a job i.e. know or speak to somebody who may have sympathy to their interests prior to commencing training or even get a position within a helicopter company to test the water prior to shelling out. In some cases if all goes well and you show aptitude and skills that the operator is interested in he may even pay for your training. This is from personal experience and I know of many others.

If you are up to the standards of an operator you will get a job. Read that carefully - it has many connotations.

AS - on the same issue - consider I may be an operator, tell me WHY you are training for a commercial pilot licence?