PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life in Bangladesh
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 10:28
jimmyjetdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's an adventure over here, although I do really miss Africa. Problem with Africa is the pay, and whether you get it or not. The great part about Dhaka is the proximity to other interesting places. We have a daily flight to Bangkok and Kathmandu, as well as Dubai. Druk Air flies here twice a week from Bhutan. Don't even get me started on the great places to visit in India and the Maldives. Lastly, I heard rumours of Regent starting a Yongon flight. Not too shabby if you fancy a backpackers lifestyle. Additionally, Dhaka is quite safe for expats, I guess the locals just haven't been corrupted by tourism. That said, it is like any other Asian megacity. Too many people squeezing into too little room, and all the human problems that go with it.
There is an excellent hospital (by our standards) that is quite cheap nearby. We have had some guys use it without problems. You will pay cash for the services, but it is probably less than the co-pay in the States.
Lastly, I have yet to have a problem with being paid here. So come on over, after the initial shock wears off, start planning on doing some exploring on your free time. My contract gives me a month off every sixty days, so life is pretty good. And BTW, any summer day in Central Florida has more convention than I have seen here, I think points southeast of here actually experience more weather events.