PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2000TT Revolution in Namibia
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:22
MKA742

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, don't expect news that fast.

I spent my time in Namibia and yes it is very difficult. 8000 a month is nothing. The prices of food and other things are going up like crazy but the wages are not rising with them.

In any case, the problems with the visas are not new. Last time I was there I had to wait a month for my visa at one point. Collegues also had problems, having to wait anywhere between 2 weeks to a month. Some companies don't give you a salary while you wait so that gets you in a heap of (financial) trouble. Better have some spare cash stached away if you go there (which I didn't, thanks mom and dad ).

I used to chase those people around but you have to be very lucky to even get someone to pick up the phone. I also grew tired of the sentance 'call back tomorrow'
I believe I only got one visa on time out of 7 or so.

2000 TT requirement would effectively shut down 90% of all the charter operators. They don't understand what that means for their tourism. But the visa problems are not only for the pilots. When I was there I read an article on the issue and lot's of other industries are having the same problem (mining, construction, fishery,...) They just don't have enough trained Namibians to do all the expats' jobs yet, but they just don't seem to understand. All they want is to get that 50% unemployment figure down but that cant be done with these stupid measures... It needs a good long term vision on educating the peoples.
Maybe we should let them shoot themselves in the foot, maybe then would they understand... But only maybe though... No guarantees in Africa

Glad it's not my problem anymore but I still have many friends down there and I wish them and all the other guys who need one good luck with their visa's. But asking for some common sense is asking for a lot.

On the bright side, flying in Namibia is the best thing I have ever been able to do. Flying there is wonderfull, especially through the different seasons. Heat, cold, drought, rain and floods, dangerous flying and boring flying, talking **** when your boss isn't flying, teaching ATC how to seperate planes, landing without the gear,... Aah, memories.
I would recommend anyone who has the chance to go fly there. Try not to get demotivted by the officials, and/by enjoying every second in the air!
Cause when youre gone again, it's all you'll think about...