PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westcountry-based helicopter elite force in jeopardy
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:12
tramps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Into the firing line...as one who used to have a connection (and no disrespect or offence intended to the excellent work of the civilian SAR/MRT), but how about the Government/MOD, do the following:
Keep a military SAR/ MRT presence, which would give the UK:
a. An excellent service to the FJ mates, over land and sea.
b. Excellent SAR training for military crews later adapting to possibly undertake such challenges in a war zone.
c. Excellent turnaround for crews, especially for SH/SF mates. They are, I would imagine, presently serving 1 or 2 tours (3 to 6 years) in and out of conflict zones so a stability tour or two may come as a welcome relief.
d. Military monitoring of the UK coast-line.
e. Excellent PR.
f. Even more Capable Agile and Adaptable Helicopter crews.

Possible ways to help achieve this:
1. Buy enough of the Sikorsky H-92 helicopters for both the SH, SAR, SF and the RN, thus replacing both the Puma, Sea King and the RN ‘junglies’, which would give:
a. The RAF and the RN continuity of training.
b. A Drastic reduction in Role conversion costs.
c. An even more Capable Agile and Adaptable Helicopter.
2. Allow limited civilian advertising on the yellow SAR airframes, or allow companies to advertise their sponsorship of RAF SAR. It would surely pay dividends for companies who quite readily pay out fortunes to so called ‘celebs’ to advertise their wares, so why not to the military SAR? Every little helps!

Just a thought as I believe positive action is required and PDQ!

I’ll get me coat