PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot wages VS other jobs
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 04:11
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see £100K+ for surgeons being appropriate since their work IS life and death, but I can't see pilots being on the same sheet.
I think people hold doctors in the same irrational hallowed god like regard that people use to apply to pilots. I should think that for a surgeon's team lopping out an appendix, the procedure is as routine as a take-off with no unusual risks and an ILS approach in good weather.

The crew forgetting to set flaps or an anaesthetist administering the wrong dose. Each probably just as unlikely to happen but the consequences far more severe for one of them.

I like to think I am paid to avoid having to make life and death decisions!
Keeping with the medical simile, like any surgeon, we do every day. It is just that the vast majority of those decisions are no brainers. Simple decisions can however lead to simple mistakes with tragic consequences for pilots and surgeons alike.

I suppose, the basic fundamental difference, is that pilots are expected to take a stable situation and keep it stable. Surgeons are generally regarded for their ability to take an deteriorating situation and make it at least stable and preferably improving.

I came to flying after a successful 20 year career outside of aviation. Certainly I have a good deal in T&Cs compared to my previous life and am very very happy with my lot.

Last edited by Sciolistes; 21st Feb 2011 at 04:27.