PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no helo transport? Are we condemning our diggers to an easy victimology?
Old 21st Feb 2011, 02:40
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi LTDT. I do feel for those serving in present economic circumstances as many military retirees have served through similar penny-pinching political cost-cutting exercises wherein the politicians and military leaders did not have the testicular fortitude to cut over-expenditure by jettisoning some flawed projects. The civvy component of Defence is now around 22,000 strong with DMO over one third of that number and recruiting prodigiously, but no freeze or cuts being heralded in that direction!

But I do not agree that $20billion in cost savings over time will be sufficient. In my view, we could have a pretty capable ADF if an affordable 7.5 percent of federal government revenue was better spent.

As TBM-Legend said earlier, 'there should be some heads on pikes'; but alas, Australia has become a land of non-accountability no matter the magnitude of cock-ups that hugely wound taxpayers. Needed at the top are 'men of steel', not political animals be they politicians, senior public servants, military chiefs who continually defend flawed judgements. They would get a whole lot more respect from the public, serving and retired military if they would just publicly admit to inappropriate decisions and propose corrective actions, even if that means cost penalties for bugging out of foundering projects.

Sadly, very glaring shortcomings in leadership.

Last edited by Bushranger 71; 21st Feb 2011 at 16:40.