PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering entering the industry. Few questions
Old 21st Feb 2011, 01:20
allthecoolnamesarego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passionate or not?

Slim,

If you are passionate about flying, and think that nothing else in the world will make you happy, then I would suggest ADF then hopefully airlines after you have had your fun and learnt your trade.

I have kids and unfortunately would not encourage them to become pilots, unless they were doing it as a result of a high paid fulfilling job (ie, doing it on the weekends).

Mcgrath is correct about the bitching in any job/industry, however, the days of the 'dream flying job' are well and truly over. You can still enjoy it, but you will be worked to the bone, be away from home a lot and suffer incompetent management. This has been true of airlines for many years now, BUT now you will be paid far less than before for the privilege of doing it!

Although it is probably 50 years or more away, flying as a pilot, as we know it know, will disappear. We used to need Navigators - gone (ADF exception), flight engineers - gone, or different industry examples - lift operators - gone. You name it, any job that can be done by the cheaper of humans or machines, will one day be done by machines.

Don't mean to sound too gloomy, it is many years off, but if you are in the industry for the next 40 years, you will see some MAJOR changes (might be good stuff too - space???)

If you love it - Go for it, if it is any less than that, get a job you enjoy (hopefully well paying) and fly on your terms.

I feel really sad saying what I have, especially since I love aviation, but I see it on the down hill slide.

Good luck