PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Theory Exams - My experience
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2011, 17:57
ct8282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL Theory Exams - My experience

So I'm currently going through the process of studying for and taking my PPL theory tests. I have read many threads from people wanting to know what to expect, how much they should study etc etc, and I myself searched the forums and was apprehensive about this subject so I thought I'd post a log of my theory study and exam experience for other newbies to read.

Today I took my first exam which was Air Law and passed with 95% score. Frustratingly the 2 questions I got wrong I had the correct answers down and changed them at the last minute before handing my paper in, oh well.
So a little bit about the test for you newbies like me. The question paper I would say was relatively simple, but then I did study very very thoroughly so it would obviously be a lot harder for those who don't put the study time in.
The questions were almost identical to those found in the 'Question and Answer Simplifier' by Jeremy Pratt, so I would absolutely recommend that if you don't have this book you go and buy it. The format for the exam was very relaxed, to be honest I was quite surprised at how relaxed it was. I was plonked in a room on my own, given the test paper and an answer sheet and left to get on with it. No one monitored me or supervised, although I was told to leave my iPhone outside the room for obvious reasons. All in all not very daunting at all to those who haven't yet had their first test.

Onto my study time and technique:

I basically studied for just over a week working my way through the Jeremy Pratt Air Law/Operational Procedures book. I went through the book very comprehensively indeed and took very good notes. It was time consuming and pretty much every waking hour I had outside of work and general life (hobbies, chores etc) I was studying, making notes, and doing the practice tests in the Question and Answer Simplifier book. I also downloaded 'The Great Circle' app for my iPhone and used this to gauge my progress. The more I worked through the book the higher my score on this app became which was a good indication that I was learning a lot. Eventually I was hitting 90 - 95% each time on the app and about the same scores from the tests in the Q&A Simplifier book so I decided I was ready.

I will post back following the next few tests but I would say that the best thing is to just be disciplined, get into the study books and work hard. If something seems easy skim read as that's because it is easy, but for other sections such as calculating Flight Levels using the Quadrantal rule under IFR conditions depending on the sub scale pressure setting etc etc, you might want to spend some quality time and make some good notes, and only move on when you are confident you understand it. Also come back to these sections and test your knowledge over and over to make sure you remember it and you'll find that each time you look at these sections they'll get clearer and clearer.

I would suggest that you could probably put in much less time than I did and still pass, but to be honest I would rather work hard and properly understand a subject and get a high score as I would imagine this can only make you a safer and more complete pilot in the long run.

That's all for now. I'll post back after test No.2.