PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Wannabes & Recruitment VIII
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2011, 17:43
Mari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding to coco's post

I really liked the post! It's extemely nice to give an update.

Career

It's not realistic to think that you bacome a Purser in 4-5 years. Count with 5-8 years. There is always something... Crisis, war, strikes at Airbus, snow, vulcano... The aviation industry is very sensitive.

Some of you will be stuck in economy or business for years due to high number of sick days, absents, warning letters or simply a Cabin Crew Manager.

Miles from home

You MUST plan your leave carefully. It's hard to get on the flights. If you are from Australia, Brazil, Canada, US, you need lots of tickets and patience to work out your strategy when you go for leave in your country.

Leave

You might not be able to take leave during probation. It depends on the company.

You CAN take 19 days in a row without your manager's permission. However, not in your fist year as I read above.

The heat

Fist summer might be hard. Afterwards: you get used to it. I mean: you simply KNOW if you shouldn't even try to go out. I never go home (Eastern- Europe) in the summer as there is no air-conditioning anywhere at home. You know European summer: either 40 degrees (in the metro, in a bank, in a café, in a taxi) or rain.

I got spoiled!

You either hate it and go home OR you get adapted.

You WILL get sick (catch a cold) 2-4 times in the first year. A/C in Dubai and on the aircraft. Take vitamins. You get used to the conditions in a year. If not: you will resign.

Accomodation

You will move if you don't like it. It might take months but you will find something better. Not easy but it's not impossible!

Passengers

Expect the worst. With time you will handle them better. If you manage them and decide to stay, you should hang on to one thought: business class upgrade.

Last edited by Mari; 20th Feb 2011 at 19:04.