PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What REALLY Happened To Nigger?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2011, 11:59
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. Perhaps I am being too PC here. If I've caused offence to anyone then I apologise unreservedly. It's just that I don't like any words which can cause hurt and this is a word which has caused deep hurt and offence to many people for reasons I've outlined.
Having said that I fully understand Guy Gibson had no intention of offending anyone when naming his dog and the word was simply a reference to the colour of the labrador's coat.
If I had been asking the question I would have said: "What really happened to Guy Gibson's black labrador?" but once again I acknowledge the OP's use of the word was strictly factual and in no way intended to cause offence. I apologise unreservedly if he felt my contributions to the thread inferred otherwise.
Whatever happened to "Nigsy" as Guy Gibson often referred to him, he was a faithful friend to a man who in his early 20's played a major part in bringing down the Third Reich and should be remembered as such.
Guy Gibson died at the age of 26. I can't help reflecting on how young 26 year olds appear to me today. It seems when it comes to war mankind never learns from the tragedies of the past.