PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2011, 11:10
Lapun Tru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Manser

Unfortunately all my log books are buried under a mountain of storage so I can't check precise details, but I can tell you that Peter Manser was definitely flying as a DC3 Captain with Air Niugini at the beginning of 1974, when I joined the company.

After being checked to the line by Russ Corney, I flew with Peter several times as his First Officer, mainly on freight runs. Peter liked to do crossword puzzles and I distinctly remember that on one flight back into Port Moresby he handed over control to me and retired to the cabin with his pencil and a newspaper crossword.....! Of course, as an inexperienced F/O I expected that he would take over for the approach, but no, we arrived at top of descent with Peter still sitting back there doing the crossword puzzle...

Well I had to do something, so I made the appropriate radio calls to Moresby ATC and set up the descent profile for an ILS approach, thinking that he was sure to get back in the left seat when he felt the aircraft descending.

As we got lower and nearer to Port Moresby my level of anxiety started to rise rather quickly. Fortunately, from about 1,500ft we were mostly clear of cloud and I was able to see the runway. At last, and with the aircraft on a very short final, Peter appeared from the cabin and said, "Oh, we're there are we?" and slid casually into the left seat. I'm almost certain that he did not get his seat straps done up until we were crossing the threshold!

Somehow I managed to make a passable landing and as we slowed to taxyspeed Peter grinned and said, "That wasn't bad, eh?"

Yes, Sundaun, Peter was a VERY relaxed Captain to fly with! Mind you, he didn't like flying IFR much and would go to quite extraordinary lengths to avoid entering cloud, if at all possible.... but with all the cumulogranite around in PNG, who could blame him?