PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering entering the industry. Few questions
Old 20th Feb 2011, 09:19
slim93jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering entering the industry. Few questions

Hi guys,

First time poster but I have been skimming these forums for a few months now. Just a question or two.

I'm currently in yr12 this year and considering a career as a pilot when I leave school and just trying to get a realistic picture as to what to expect.

From the threads I've read over the last few months I've gained somewhat of an understanding from you guys but I'd like to have a few things clarified and made clear.

After reading around here it's become clear to me that not all pilots end up working that "dream job" making huge cash like a lot of people think. My understanding is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that it can be pretty difficult to earn a solid income as a pilot unless you end up in an airline?

From what I've come to understand - GA really isn't, for most people, a long term career goal as a lot of companies tend to pay minimum wage and a lot of guys go through it until they get sucked into an airline. Same goes with instructing. Obviously there are exceptions.

My question to you guys is - what can I expect in terms of a salary as a pilot? I'd like to gain a specific understanding. I've read on these forums a lot of guys claiming in GA you'll get paid peanuts. That the regionals aren't any good either. That something like a J* cadetship is underpaid, etc. What could I expect to earn after 5years or 10 years? In a typical airline as a direct entry pilot or in a regional, or even as an instructor/GA guy if I did choose to stay there in the long run.

It's always been a dream of mine to fly but I want to be realistic as it seems a lot of posts in the past here seem to indicate a lot of guys struggle to make ends meat, pay off the mortgage, support the family etc. I've read that others have even left. A few guys in here claim that a McDonalds manager or factory line worker can earn more than an experienced pilot? Or is this just a wind up? I have a rough idea of what I could expect in other careers such as government jobs etc and recently was told that a Metro Melbourne train driver starts on 80k/year but typically earns around 100 with overtime - with training covered - in fact I was told you get paid while you're trained. Compared to forking out tens of thousands for a CPL etc.

If anyone could post here, or in private what I can expect from well known companies, or in general at different stages of a caree it would be appreciated so I can compare a career as a pilot to other things I have an interest in as well.

Thanks in advance