PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batmen
Thread: Batmen
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 18:55
dagama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was Detco Nairobi in 1971 - VC10s, Brits and Hercs were flying in with troops and equipment and flying back empty. BHC Nairobi had put the word around so there were quite a few indulgence passengers to handle.

One day, an Army colonel turned up with the yellow card duly stamped as approved by the BHC so my staff processed him and told him to wait in the lounge -a wooden hut. When it came to board, he was accompanied by lance corporal who, it transpired, was not a duty passenger. Upon questioning, he referred to the colonel. Said colonel took umbrage that we had not allowed for his batman to travel with him.

'He always goes where I go', was his response! He blamed the RAF for not using its crystal ball!

The arrogance of the colonel to treat his batman as chattel was astonishing as he had not applied for the indulgence for his batman. A seat for the batman was not a problem so he was boarded but was probably quite hungry en route to BZN, unless the cabin staff found a morsel for him. I bet the colonel was not bothered about his well being.