PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "End of the F3 Celebration Party":
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 18:14
maxburner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it in service from 86 until I left in 97, and then as a reserve on 5 until 2004. By the time I'd shuffled out of there the jet had a good radar, great data link, fantastic missiles and some extremely capable crews. It was never going to overcome the shortcomings of the original (short range, straight line) bomber from which it grew, but the boys and girls, airborne and on the ground, got more out of it than anyone thought possible.

I did the first ever TLP deployment out of Jever, fired the first AMRAAM off it, called the first ever spoke contact from the RHWR, did a lot of the development flying at BAE for ASRAAM etc etc. The jet took me safely all over the world. I can't say I loved it (like the Phantom) but I had a great time and I for one will be slightly sad to see the passing.

PS. The auto wing sweep was trialled (by the RAF) and found to be not very good. Also I was one of the MOD people, I worked very hard, as did my colleagues, to give the guys a better jet with better kit: don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Last edited by maxburner; 19th Feb 2011 at 18:37.