PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DeltaConnection carriers file a petition for one list
Old 28th Jul 2000, 10:31
Ignition Override

Arrow

This is just one perspective, and I have nothing against regionals operating certain numbers of jets (i.e. 69 seats or less etc.). I have not been with regionals since the mid-80s, and sympathize with those regional pilots who desire to fly a jet someday, whether grey with a red tail, or red, white, blue or even silver...and finally earn more respect from the smug, ill-mannered (this often includes the successful-), ignorant passengers who lack any solid appreciation for the reliability/efficiency of 'prop-jets'. And when did any line pilot, who is not a negotiator or mgmt/evaluation pilot, have control over which aircraft is acquired by his employer?

As for hiring at the majors, where things have changed since the booming mid-80s, and were always difficult to stereotype or understand, i.e. some personnel (human resource) managers, with no flight training OR experience (except with silk ties and brown-nosing) were allowed to 'weed out' a guy or gal, simply based on some subjective personal reason, having absolutely nothing to do with flying abilities/experience.

Recently on Pprune, regarding necessary PIC turbine hours, someone posted info from United Airlines' recent flight experience requirements, which stated that the computer accepting data from pilot applications did NOT distinguish between turboprop and turbofan PIC hours. And so, IF this is also the case with other US major airlines' pilot requirements (other than where personal recomendations are an advantage), then the assumed advantage of flying a regional jet as Captain versus a Beech 1900, EMB-120 or ATR means nothing, as far as numbers go. The regional jet job might be used on turboprop routes.

Or, as at Delta, where their MEC (and its flock of sheep, mostly in ATL, who drank the company kool-aid without question) finally woke up to the sobering fact that their previous contracts had the loosest scope language in the US industry, in theory some COMAIR pilots probably won't get hired at Delta, since the CRJ already flies many previous Delta 737/MD-80 routes. Maybe they will be fortunate at other majors, partly thanks to tighter scope language.

Fighting yesterday's battle today can never recover those who have already been lost.

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 28 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ignition Override (edited 28 July 2000).]