PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Tax Man Cometh! (UK)
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 13:32
Lavion Rose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  1. Peba. Yes have heard about Brookfield so LOL there and yes you are absolutley right, hence my fears based on the story I mentioned and also a recent case against a Business man in the Seychelles.
Below is the link posted from an earlier thread regarding the 90 day rule: The long arm of the UK taxman - Telegraph
  1. Agaricus Bisporous: I am so glad you took the trouble to read and reply to my post. Your reply has filled me with confidence to tell the HMRC to get stuffed as I spend less than 90 days in the UK.
I thought by making bullet point questions it would cut down on opinions and I might get a few facts but hey!
I suspect there is more to the case quoted than we have been told.
First, which case are you referring to? Are you referring to the rumour of a pilot losing a case against HMRC or are you referring to the basic circumstances that I laid out pertaining to myself?
The former I cannot answer, which is why I posted this thread and asked if anyone had heard about this rumour, specifically listing it as a question!
If you are doing what you are doing in compliance with the law and in good faith they have no case. Endex.

They can probably do it, because as I said, ( I suggest you read the above link to the article in the Telegraph if you think it might affect you), it would appear that they differentiate between one saying and declaring that one is no longer a resident of the UK and really having no ties against someone similar that still has ties and hence, I believe what they call domicile which could be construed, as mentioned on another thread, as having a wardrobe full of your clothes as opposed to owning a wardrobe that is rented out full of a lodgers clothes! I.E. it is sounding like it could be argued that because you still have a “home” in the UK your are liable for UK tax.
3. Stansdead (how did he die? Doh). Thank you for your reply. This is exactly what I am worried about. Yes I agree there are few jobs in the UK and even fewer worth taking. Might be time for a career change if I can think of one!

4. Alpine Pilot; Many thanks for reading my post, understanding it and giving me some useful info. Will google. Thank you again.