PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Tax Man Cometh! (UK)
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 11:23
Lavion Rose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Tax Man Cometh! (UK)

I heard a nasty rumour the other day that a UK Expat pilot has lost a case against/by the HMRC on the grounds that he was not really non-resident.
I read a thread here that -petered out last year about the 90 day rule but it is starting to sound like to quote the other thread, "If you have a wardrobe with clothes in it HMRC will take you as still being resident". I am currently in the UAE but as I still have committments in the UK, aka mortgage, a wardrobe and a garage full of stuff I am getting a bit more than a bit worried!
The idea of coming out here was to try and make some money and clear a few debts, but if one goes back and gets hammered by HMRC then its either never go back or go back now before one gets a Lester Piggot size bill!!
I am guessing that this revolves around the idea of a domicile and although I signed the appropriate form and am never in the UK more than 30 days a year, because of the above I am guessing that I could be considered to still have a UK domicile?
So,
  1. Has any one else heard the same rumour?
  2. Does anyone know what the UK liabilities would be if deemed to still have a domicile or considered by HMRC to still be resident in the UK? I.E. would tax liability be based on money sent home to cover the mortgage or would it be factored to guess what your income is based on what you are able to send to cover the mortgage?
  3. Does any one have a good tax advisor they could recommend? PM please!