PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737NG A/P, what a joke!
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2002, 06:31
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Is the one FMC an airline option? I flew the 757 as FO a few years ago. We had two panels for this. The Canadian CRJ often has only one (and at ASA, no autothrottles). So far, the 757 is my only Boeing experience. It still has a very slow microprocessor, which the airline could have upgraded-but that would cost money. Only after we made all the alt restrictions with VNAV, we then used FLCH when descending below 10,000', and it often seemed sluggish. But it will keep the present airspeed and smoothly climb or descend, won't it? VS was a bit risky. We never used it in a climb, except for a gradual level-off when hand-flying up to 12,000' or so (i.e., 1500 fpm at the "two to go" callout-less power and pitch required while chasing the flight director, much more gentle on the sullen, ragged prisoners in the cabin (yes, most dress in their worst clothes, as if they are ashamed to be on an airplane...MTV-conditioned?), in order to avoid pushing forward to quickly on the yoke (as with VNAV, which uses full climb power), to avoid overshooting an altitude. If there is a real delay in what it is doing (anytime in newer tech cockpits), click the autopilot off, re-engage it and both Flt Dir switches and push the FLCH etc button again.

By the way, our new 757-300s will only use the climb thrust which is on the -200. Are different FADECS required at a huge price increase, or is it much less engine wear to not have the higher climb thrust?

So how do the 757 autopilot and "magic' compare to those on the 737 NG? One thing is for sure-these require no flight computers and the throttles on Boeings always move-as with every plane most people have ever flown.

Anyway, I'm back on old technology and am stinkier and sweatier while guarding the throttles as more runway under us, but most of all, feel like an airplane pilot again. Do Airbus pilots feel like pilots?