PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Antibiotics and Flying
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 20:31
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
While searching for antibiotic data, I happened across a paper only yesterday, which stated unequivocally not to treat pneumonia with ABs in the first instance. I might be able to find it again, but I looked at nearly a hundred sites, so not too sure.

The gist was that nearly all chest infections are - initially at least - viral, and the AB will only serve to reduce one's immune system and be counterproductive.

Frankly, I'm not too convinced, but I have to confess to running to ABs rather quickly. Certainly, the thing I had got much worse after 3 days of ABs.

I think the logic is, most GPs know that in this modern world, the average chest infection will leave the surfaces wide open to bacteria and their patient will sure as eggs, get a secondary (bacteriological ) infection. So, get the stuff in and circulating until it heals.

The cons to this are building resistance to several good ABs, and the difficulty of getting the timing just right.

I'll have a look for the link, but if not, I was searching for anaerobic v aerobic treatments.

I'm off to beg a question of the forum meself.