PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What REALLY Happened To Nigger?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 19:39
jensdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quoting Genghis the Engineer: On the whole, I think you're wrong. If the dog had been called Coaldust, or Snowdrop, it would still be an incredibly poignient story within a broader story of great historical, national, and sentimental significance to any Brit who cares about our history, particularly our aviation history.

Quoting Evanelpus: His name wasn't what he was called, it was nigger! and if this offends anyone, tough!

Maybe I did a disservice to the thread starter when saying that but for the dog's name, he wouldnt be writing the article. I agree with Genghis that the story is a poignant one and I wouldnt advocate writing it out of the story of Guy Gibson & the 'Dambusters' just because of the little fella's name. I definitely don't mean any disrespect to Guy Gibson, who lived in a different era to ours.
However, I feel that some people (as demonstrated by evanelpus) take any opportunity to demonstrate to the world how 'un-PC' they are by insulting people. If hurt feelings are the unintended result of well-meaning frank and free speech, then so be it. Unfortunately though, some people gratuitously use insulting language then try to make themselves out as being on a noble crusade for free speech.

Anyway, what has all this got to do with aviation?