PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 18:24
Flapping_Madly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I am is SLF. That's all. (That's all ?!?!? Well I'm damned important to me and my family !!)
So I don't know much about all this. Except it worries me quite a bit. When I board a plane I think I am entitled to expect the engines will stay in one piece. Usually they do. Maybe this Qantas debacle is a total oddity. But some of the stuff being unearthed by the incredibly clever people on here gives cause for concern. The more I read the worse it gets.

I would like to think that when something as immensely important as an airliner engine is designed and built everyone involved is issued with a list of "bear these firmly in mind in this order" reminders.
Reliability
Robustness
Dependability
Serviceability
Inspectability
Dismantleability
Repairability
Monitorability
Controlability
Transportability
blah blah blah and ending with
Minimum fuel burn
Minimum weight
Minimum cost.

Having built the engine pop it on the scales to see what it weighs, screw it to a wing and see if it works and how much it drinks. And those numbers get written on the box lid. Bobs your uncle.

Perhaps with the 900 they had the list upside down and built a flimsy under-strength flexible wobbler that wore out too quickly and shook itself to bits. Shortly they'll be inspecting the things so often they'll never take off.

And my unhappiness with only two engines over oceans instead of four has gone up a ratchet or four.

Don't SHOUT at me I'm only SLF. I'm entitled to my worries.