PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sending the Goat-Acts Around
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2002, 05:06
West Coast

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Chilimonster

Yup, I have seen the video. My brother flies a CRJ for a living(if you wanna call it that) On that acft due to the wings being close to the deck they dont use the wing low/top rudder method in a X wind. They crab at a rather large angle to the runway till the 20ft callout and all of a sudden kick it out, fairly dramatic divurgance angle in a strong crosswind. The last thing I would want is some well meaning controller sending him around for what is a normal approach. Going into LAX behind Dynasty 74-400s I stay two dots high, again a well meaning controller might step in. Going into John Wayne (KSNA) I duck under the GS a tad, only 5700ft of runway. All of these profiles might set off some well meaning controller to do something unneeded. What we are talking about here is very subjective, what you as a reasonable person may note as a fairly normal approach may be completely unstabilized to your collegue next to you.

I claim to be no more a stickler to SOP than others, we all have our favorites, but to an exceeding large degree professional pilots do comply with our requirements. So unless you have some sort of first hand knowledge of pilots from flight deck experience not doing so, please pull your fangs back in.

I have no problem with, and advocate ATC callouts, such as you appear high, low,etc but I would prefer to keep the final authority for flying the aircraft within the cockpit.

Last edited by West Coast; 7th Sep 2002 at 05:10.