PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What REALLY Happened To Nigger?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 15:16
Mr_Grubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my youth I worked as an agricultral labourer at RAF Scampton.

This is an extract from my autobiography.

One of my tasks was the upkeep of Niggers grave. Nigger was the Black Labrador pet dog belonging to Wing Commander Guy Gibson, Commander of 617 Squadron. On the night of 16th May 1943, Nigger was killed by a car when he strayed beyond the camp boundaries just as 617 Squadron crews were preparing for the raids on the Ruhr Dams. Gibson was devastated. Not only had Nigger been a friend, he had also been the squadrons mascot. He asked that Nigger be buried in a plot of land outside 617 Squadron hangers. There he remains to this day. He has a small rectangular plot with a marble headstone. I would make sure that the grass was always neat and whenever possible flowers were in abundance. A local story that has been circulating for many years is that Nigger was never buried there at all. The airman tasked by Charles Whitworth, the station commander, to arrange the burial sold Nigger to the local nackers yard. Whether this is true or just urban myth, who knows.

The inscription reads

Nigger

The grave of a Black Labrador Dog.

Mascot of 617 Squadron. Owned by Wing Commander Guy Gibson VC, DSO, DFC.
Nigger was killed by a car on the 16th May 1943.

Buried at midnight as his owner was leading his Squadron on an attack against the Mohne and Oder Dams.

C.

Last edited by Mr_Grubby; 18th Feb 2011 at 18:35. Reason: spelin