PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night rating hints and tips...??
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 14:41
The_green_penguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night rating hints and tips...??

Hi there

I have done about three hours of training toward my night qualification (including nav excercise) and all seemed to be going well, but now I've got into the circuit I am finding it really tricky to achieve satisfactory landings, particularly in the round out and flare stages. I jut can't seem to get any appreciation of height above the concrete in the final moments... I am either flaring way too early and floating halfway along the runway, the next time I over compensate, and land extremely hard....

I know you are supposed to try to judge the flare/roundout from the visual aspect of the runway side lights rising up around you. I've been told by instructors not to look directly over the nose, but to one side. But I'm just not getting it. I find it easier with the landing light on, as it lights up the numbers/threshold, but I appear clueless with the landing light off (simulated failure).... or with flapless/glide approaches, as the higher nose attitude doesn't illuminate the runway for me!!

I guess it's just practice I need, but anyone out there give me any pointers to help my confidence...?!

Last edited by The_green_penguin; 18th Feb 2011 at 15:00.