PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batmen
Thread: Batmen
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 12:31
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Skycop, I share your annoyance about being in the wrong end of the Mess! And as for 'servants never slaves' quite right; one only has to dip a toe into PG Wodehouse to realise that a 'gentleman's gentleman' was frequently the sharper of the 2 in the relationship, and almost indispensable in terms of extracating one from the brown and smelly.

At my current place, we have a limited sort of batting service in that you are entitled to have uniform / suit etc prepared for the following day, which is rather handy.

Aside from that, the only time I have ever been woken with a cup of tea in the traditional 'Batman' sense was when I had to go to Fylingdales about 10 years ago. They explained to me that unless I had an old mechanical alarm clock, any UK electrical clock plugged into the mains would run fast because of issues with the power supply. So to avoid the entire Mess either being up at 4am if they used a clock or 10am if they didn't, they had to send someone round to make sure everyone was up. Don't know if they still do it though, but rather civilized though.