PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining the R.A.A.F
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 12:12
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Swift91
Thank you to (the) kind people in the forum (for) the words of advice and encouragement. I've done some research and I've decided on my future ambitions. After I've paid my supportive family back for helping me move cities.(,) I'm aiming to enrol at my local university (and) undertake a six month bridging course while attempting to pay for flying lessons(.) (I'm only aiming to do ten - fifteen hours.) After iv (I've) completed my bridging course I'm going to apply for the A.D.F.A studying Bachelor of Technology Aviation (thanks Macchi 408) and if I'm unsuccessfully (unsuccessful) ill (I'll) try again next year. And (NEVER start a sentence with a conjunction) keep trying until I'm accepted or bankrupt.
[New paragraph]
And (again, NEVER start a sentence with a conjunction) for everyone else who rather spend two minuets counting the words in a paragraph just to insult rather than contribute useful information to help someone, it really shows what kind of person you are. And (conjunction) I may lack the intelligence that most of you have, I like to the think I make up for it in determination.

My dream is to fly and ill (I'll) do it any way I can that will keep me in the air for as long as possible...

That sounded better in my head.
First, the correction above is not an attack but rather a lesson on how the post should possibly be grammatically and punctually correct. My post is also not a comment on the military.
Originally Posted by Swift91
My dream is to fly and ill do it any way I can that will keep me in the air for as long as possible...
If this quote is true, then you you will find a job that pays the most (I worked nights because there was a 30% shift allowance and they were 12 hour shifts) and save your $$$. Get your PPL, maybe a NVFR and study for the exams. Personally I found a CPL ground course suited me best for the theory subjects but that was in the days before the internet and online courses.

When you have passed all the CPL theory exams you should be close to either starting your CPL training or even be part way through it. When you have your hard earned Professional Licence, the hard work now begins. Maybe back to the non flying work to get a multi endorsement or Instrument Rating all the while studying for the ATPL theory exams.

There are threads in this Forum about how and where to find flying work in OZ so it would be well worth searching them.

Obviously what I have suggested above is a personal opinion but I believe it will get you flying sooner than via the airforce path and YOU will have more control over your career path and not be relying on the results expected from your Government employer. (I had a colleague who obtained his CPL at 200 hours but was rejected when he applied for the airforce with the comment, "you don't have much of an aptitude for flying". He has been flying airliners for many years now.

I would suggest that you do a Class 1 medical BEFORE deciding on anything. I know one person who discovered a medical problem that stopped him from obtaing a CPL only after he had a PPL, passed the CPL exams and was starting his CPL training. He was devastated.

Good luck with your career in aviation, whatever path you choose. (Army fly rotary wing. This may be an alternative option)