PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Batmen
Thread: Batmen
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 11:33
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For married officers lucky enough to be in quarters there was an allocation. Flt Lt had one between 6, Sqn Ldr 1 between 4.

Their duties were supposed to be shoe cleaning, laundry and pressing of the officer's uniforms. Mrs Flt Lt OTOH used to have the batman clean the grate, clean the house and generally do the servant bit. 1 in 6 meant around one hour of chores per quarter per day.

Many batmen were national service time servers.

In mess there was supposed to be a similar allocation but often it was nearer 1 in 12. There they had the shoe cleaning, early morning cuppa, uniform and civie pressing, prepare and receive laundry, cleaning the room and making and changing the bedding. A good batty was worth their weight in gold and used to earn tips from all their young gentlemen.

Initially they were national service but when that ended they were usually civilians. At Lindholme and Finningley, and again at Cottesmore, they were all ex-miners. Aside from batting a well organised batty would spend much of the day in his batman's room drinking tea with his mates. He could be persuaded to provide a cuppa later on.

In Cyprus we again had a similar batting service.

From the 70s batting as such began to die out although cleaners as they became could still be persuaded to do your ironing. At Wittering, as I no longer had a batman I ended up actually with 2 ladies who did the laundry and a man who did other things. I was on the road much of the time so he would collect yesterday's Times each morning and put a copy in my room.

I used to get back, empty my suitcase in to the laundry bin, pack my suitcase with clean laundry and then repeat the process the following week.

While batting in quarters is a thing of the past for most officers room cleaning remains as a duty in messes. Most messes now provide tea making facilities instead of the early morning call.

One of mine, a civilian ex-naval rating, used to read the orders and remind me of the dress code for the day.