PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS A380 Uncontained failure.
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 23:23
Bolty McBolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Qantas to abide by Rolls-Royce's derated take-off thrust guidelines, A380 flights LAX would carry only 80 passengers due to payload restrictions.
Thanks annex14 for the read

Ok flights are full i.e. 60 t payload. All engines are "C" build and flights will be twice a day in the near future as it was prior to the incident

If you look at the date of print, mid December. It was an eternity ago in this saga as I don’t think many staff involved in the T900 project had any leave over Christmas. There has been much correspondence between the 2 companies (RR & QF ) since.
RR has blessed a list of QF engines capable to do the flights at thrust ratings required.
If the 75 cycles rule with 2 LAX departures a day is applied to QF with a fleet of 9 it would need to re-engine in a little over 330 days. With the current availability of 5 LAX approved aircraft a re-engine would be required in 190 days. 20 engines after 190 days flying ??
. RR cannot make engines or modules quick enough to cope with this demand.

Some pruners mention the IP coupling. Yes it is inspected for wear every 100 cycles.
Has anyone changed an engine yet due to coupling wear? Probably not ,due to the new engine builds being compulsory fitted but RR now has dozens of engines to draw data from regarding the wear. I guess we shall see which part RR redesign first?