PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Star - Action Needs To Be Taken
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 22:27
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to dip my oar in here. I have been vocal in the past with regard to the cadet systems. I have also mentioned I am agnostic as to background - GA/Airforce/Cadet.

What one has to remember is there are no free lunches in this world, merely the illusion that such a beast exists. There is always a price to pay. However, it is not alway obvious to the naïve what that price is.

For the potential cadet, on paper, things look rosy, frankly, it looks almost too good to be true (alarm bells should be ringing already). Airlines are business, and the managers can see a financial advantage by employing indebted cadets.
To learn more about this amazing new opportunity
j* cadetship

It is left to the cadets imagination what this "opportunity" may actually be.

If you look carefully at the strategy being pursued by j*, it even before the last EBA management were very clear about the strategy to pay cadets far less (Junior First Officer) was in place . The offshore push will essentially allow management to offer a job on minimum wage, and cadets would have very little choice but to accept. If they don't like the offer, simple, pay back the training "sponsorship". This is straight out of the English LCC playbook.
If you were a prospective cadet without knowing someone close to the industry there is almost no chance you would establish the true facts of the matter.

So, in short, cadets may get a window seat, apparently jumping the queue, however, unless they come from a wealthy background they can expect to pay dearly for that seat for a decade or more. They can expect offshore contracts & brutal T&C's - this is their price. Those that choose GA pay-as-you-go model, will have longer to wait, but once in the a jet, a vast amount more flexibility & control over their career. They paid the price up front, but with no debt to an employer. Military guys have excellent training, great machines to fly, reasonable pay & good fringe benefits, but a significant return on service. That is their price.

As I said, there are no free lunches, the hard work & sacrifice must be put in at some point. This must be clearly understood, no matter which path is taken. There is no way around this fact, and those contemplating the cadetship should understand this, unfortunately, many will not until the noose is well and truly tightened around their neck.