PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two sets of hands on the throttles...why?
Old 17th Feb 2011, 22:20
aviatorhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of what I'm reading about "instruction", "aderence", "why [or why not, depending on point of view] call stable" "method in which we achieve [SOPs]" etc. etc. Sound like we're talking about a perfect world with perfect people who perfectly execute every perfectly preconstructed task.

Last I checked, the world ain't perfect. People will be people, and while you can create a procedure which completley eliminated all the problems you may have at hand, you will still need people to execute that procedure, and people will make msitakes, that is certain. The situation in the sim where a CA (of all people simply) looked at the FO and said "you forgot..." speaks volumes.

For one, there's nothing wrong with the sim instructor having the PNF go along with a scenario like that, if the training is supposed to be reflective of the real world, then what happens if the PNF in the real world doesn't in fact say it (for whatever reason, maybe he's having a stroke for all you know, the infamous "incapacitated crewmember" scenario), instead of blazing down the runway at 50 knots and 1.4 EPR maybe the CA should've looked over at the FO, see what's going on, if he's foaming at the mouth and has an otherwise confused look on his face (well, sometimes that's normal ) maybe it's time to close the throttles and take care of this new issue you have. The fact that the CA simply sat there, expecting nothing to go wrong, and not having the ability to move the throttles forward or backward without the guy next to him saying "stable" says to me that he might not be ready to be a CA.