PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 landing techniques - what is the difference?
Old 17th Feb 2011, 13:08
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every landing is and can be markedly different. It's something I celebrate in the 172.
Perhaps celebrating arriving at a point when you can make all your landings as similar as possible would be a better goal.

I can do whatever, but I really hate seeing aircraft dragged in on a long flat approach against full flap at (it seems inevitably) high airspeed. I've heard this described as a 'stabilised' approach, but to me it just looks like bad flying. Sorry.
Whomever described that to you as an example of a stabilized approach has provided you with an incorrect understanding.

A stabilized approach means that you are configured and stable, ready to land. How it's applied may vary, but if you're passing through short final fully configured, at a stable speed, at a stable rate of descent, with the airplane under control, then you're flying a stabilized approach to landing.

If you're making that approach to land under instrument conditions, then you should be on speed, configured, and stable by a thousand feet above the field at a minimum. This frees you to concentrate on flying the approach precisely at a critical time, rather than trying to get the airplane under control.

Most airlines use stable approach criteria that require the aircraft to be in a stabilized state by a thousand feet in instrument conditions, and five hundred in visual conditions. The aircraft may be slowing to it's final speed until that point, and one may be configuring the airplane during the approach (indeed, standard practice in most transport category airplanes for a precision approach is to apply the final configuration at the glideslope intercept point, or for non-precision, to be fully configured before reaching that point).

This works well in light airplanes, too. Unless you're an ag pilot, you probably shouldn't be rolling wings level at 50' above the field as you hit the threshold in a tight turn, while snapping out flaps and pulling power to idle. That would be an unstabilized approach.

It's hard to make a good landing out of a bad approach to land. Make a good approach to land, and you greatly increase your chances of making a good landing.