PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying for your rating !!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 09:10
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning!

his Dudeness: But this stuff has to end. Otherwise you might need a second job besides flying just to be able to live. For the whole career. Think about it.
Good point. And true in any case. That has always been my key advice to wannabe pilots/students: Get yourself some kind of non-aviation-related qualification before starting your flying stuff. Finish your college/university studies first, finish you apprenticeship as a plumber, get yourself some IT qualification, even a truck-driving-license will help. Whatever. With such a background, your position in relation to employers changes radically: They have to lure you away from your "other life", you do not need to beg for anything. As I said above, I never paid for a type rating. Why? Because I never gave them the leverage to make me pay. I was always in a position to be able to say no.

I´m far from being a communist, but we - as a society, not only us pilots - have to take a stand. Otherwise we´re back to square 1 aka the circiumstances our ancestors lived in and fought against. (Unions, labour rights etcetc.)
Agreed. But again, "we" must be able to afford this. Saying no is only possible if you have an alternative way to support yourself (and your family). With your back against the wall, your only option is to take what "they" will offer you. Aas we can see now. So the best advice would probably be to use the money required for the SSTR and book a database-management-course instead.

Happy landings,
max