PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2011, 07:19
Left Coaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a few questions...did anyone see that Qantas has just published a significant profit (net) despite the serious increase in the Australian market recently by Emirates? Additionally, did not Qantas complain bitterly about that "attack" on their sovereign airspace by allowing EK to expand, as a potential huge loss of revenue? Why then, is Air Canada unable to readjust, and reinvent, and reposition themselves to protect the business of carrying passengers in their own market as Emirates looks to expand? Like Qantas seems to have accomplished? I would put it here that they can't and won't, preferring to simply hide behind a lobby...while whining and posturing that they are competitive already and would lose market share if Emirates were to be allowed to expand and operate more flights to Canada. It's a shameful lie...and the Harper government is believing it...In addition, have a look at the numbers reported ($$$) that will be lost as revenue and tax revenue as up to 30% more traffic will cross the US border from Canada to save up to 50% (!!!) on tickets and taxes by flying on US carriers...so what is it then? Is the policy of protecting Air Canada at all costs going to destroy the market for the Canadian consumer? I sure think its possible! Sadly those numbers are indicative of the poor handling by the government...and all that potential revenue to both AC and the taxman will be lost to the US carriers and Uncle Sam...all so Air Canada can stay afloat...maybe a shareholder or two with some guts should ask the question of Rovenescu...Just what are you playing at? The books at Qantas prove it can be done...get on with your job of growing our company and quit hiding behind the government...it's time to stop lying.